Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New York!!!

I never thought I would have the chance to visit New York.  But this summer we had the chance to do so.  We went to NY for about a week.  We went with our good friends the Schombs' and had a wonderful time. The only sad part was we left Justin behind.  We just figured he was too young to come along.  My parents came and stayed at our home and took care of him.  I had a really hard time leaving him. Being in NY was kind of a culture shock even though we were still in the United States.  The flight there was a good flight we thought it would take us about 6 hours and we made it to JFK in 4 hours it was awesome everyone was amazed as to how fast the flight was.  We got there at night and we had a private car waiting for us to take us to our hotel.  When we arrived in NY it was raining which was no big deal yeah right.  The drive to our hotel was a crazy one.  I grew up in Southern California about 5 minutes from the Tijuana/US border. I have always thought the driving in Mexico was bad until we started driving to our hotel in NY at night in the rain.  I was so afraid we were going to cause an accident.  I thought we were going to hit a car, every car, everything in our way, people, sidewalks, street vendors, hot dog carts, etc... but nothing happened except my seat was a little wet when I stood up and I think I bruised Julie's arm from where I kept squeezing it every time I thought we were about to hit something. We stayed in a hotel in downtown Manhattan if you looked out our room window you would see the Twin Towers Ground Zero construction.  It was a site!
Our first day we headed straight to Mid Town Manhattan on the subway.  Talk about culture shock.  We always have heard about how dangerous and crowded the subways are and we were expecting the worst.  It wasn't bad at all, just a little smelly and dirty at times.  I had the whole subway thing down on our first time on.





When we got to Mid Town we couldn't stop looking around it was amazing.  One of our first stops was of course to get a hot dog from one of the carts.   
We went on the Circle Line boat cruise so we could see the Statue of Liberty and learn more about Manhattan, we were total tourist.  I was really glad we did, it was really cool.  We got to see tons.

1 comment:

  1. Im glad I finally got to hear a little about your trip!! Looks like you guys had fun, I can't wait to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete